Panelists will discuss the value of linguistic and cultural competence for the new American family in today's global economy, where dual language programs, and ways that residents can help create more dual language programs in their community.
The event will be moderated by CNN and CNN En Español political contributor Maria Cardona. Panelists are:
- Berenice Pernalete, Biliteracy Instructional Guide, Mundo Verde PCS
- Daniel Bremer-Wirtig Director of External Affairs, Global Ties US
- Amy Mejia, Spanish language PTU President and Dena Huff parent, Bruce Monroe @ Park View Elementary DCPS
- Jimell Sanders, Director of Engagement, DC Language Immersion Project
- Francisca Piantini, high school senior student, Columbia Heights Educational Campus.
DC State Board of Education Ward 1 Representative Laura Wilson Phelan will welcome participants and Jackie Reyes, director of OLA, will deliver closing remarks.
The event will be simultaneously translated in Spanish and in English, and American Sign Language interpretation will be available. Light refreshment will be provided. Childcare will be provided by toddler storyteller Veronica Jimenez of Bloombars fame, and will be available on a first come first serve basis. If you anticipate needing childcare, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: number of children, children's ages, guardian name, and guardian phone number.
Co-sponsored by Ward 1 Education Collaborative, Bloombars, Latino Economic Development Center, Latin American Youth Center, and Mexican Professionals Network Washington DC.