Friday, December 26, 2014

Dogs we love in literature

WaPo's book editor Ron Charles thinks about literary dogs in his life and lists more than 10 books for children and adults.   Readers chime in with others.   This column reminds me of the op-ed penned by Frank Bruni earlier this year, Read, Kids, Read, and Katherine Schulten's Do You Read for Pleasure?.   The latter asked young people 13 and over to comment on their favorite books, why they read, and more.   As I write in Frank Bruni and kids on reading for fun, some comments on the Schulten piece recommended Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller.

Two of my favorites are the "Harry the Dirty Dog" series and Sounder by William Armstrong.   Sounder holds a special place in my heart since Armstrong was my father's favorite teacher at Kent School for Boys (Kent, CT) and I spent a bit of time with Armstrong, learning about the trilogy and his life.

What are your favorite dog literary characters?

No comments:

Post a Comment