The men and women who serve our country and the families who sacrifice in support of service members deserve the best care and resources the District of Columbia can provide. Together, city agencies, community-based organizations andstakeholders from the District's military and veteran communities can help ensure everyone who serves has the opportunity to lead a happy and rewarding life.
The plan contains steps for the District government in five areas:
- Criminal Justice
- Economic Security and Employment
- Housing and Homelessness
The action plan was developed as part of an effort led by SAMHSA. Participating jurisdictions―13 in all―agreed to develop plans guided by these objectives:
- Increase access to appropriate care.
- Close gaps in existing systems and build capacity.
- Increase interagency communication and collaboration.
- Incorporate evidence-based and best practices.
- Sustain these efforts for the long-term future.
Read the action plan―it's only 24 pages, 18 of the actual plan―to find out what you can do to support service members, veterans, and their families.