The DC Council has accomplished a significant number of the recommendations. Outstanding from the NCSL report, for example, are:
- Presentation of a plain language analysis of all legislation prior to and with the introduction
- Adherence to roundtable and hearing scheduling
- Routinely update staff directory of CM and committee staff and office staff
- Publication of user-friendly documents explaining the legislative process and the institution generally
- Appropriately use emergency legislation
Since there's plenty left to do in these reports, I suggest the next council chair take another look at both reports and make changes. In addition, it's probably time for another assessment. DC Appleseed, are you interested?