Saturday, May 24, 2014

Natasha Trethewey, outgoing US Poet Laureate

Here and Now's Robin Young talked with outgoing US Poet Laureate Natasha Trethewey about Trethewey's art and the state of poetry.   Natasha Trethewey Ends Her Tenure As U.S. Poet Laureate aired May 21, 2014.   An interesting segment.   What I enjoyed most was the opening:
Natasha Trethewey is ending her two-year term as Poet Laureate of the United States. On the PBS series "Where Poetry Lives" she traveled the country, including a visit to the Alzheimer's Poetry Project in Brooklyn. Here she is sitting on the floor with preschoolers who'd come to visit the older residence.

(SOUNDBITE OF AUDIO CLIP)

NATASHA TRETHEWEY: I'm a poet.

UNIDENTIFIED GROUP: I'm a poet.

TRETHEWEY: And I know it.

UNIDENTIFIED GROUP: And I know it.

TRETHEWEY: And my feet surely show it.

UNIDENTIFIED GROUP: And my feet surely show it.

TRETHEWEY: Because they're longfellows.

UNIDENTIFIED GROUP: Because they're longfellows.

I laughed along with the kids.   The interaction was sweet and showed the magic of poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.