The Ward 2 Education Network invites you to attend a community education forum with Deputy Mayor for Education Abigail Smith on Saturday, February 8 from 10am to 11:30am at Cardozo Education Campus at 1200 Clifton St NW. In addition to her many other duties and responsibilities, Ms. Smith co-chairs the DC Advisory Committee on Student Assignment and the topic will be DCPS boundaries, feeders and student assignment policies currently underway.
DC has not undertaken a comprehensive review of its student assignment policies, including school attendance boundaries and feeder patterns, since the 1970s. Meanwhile, DCPS schools and public charter schools have opened and closed, neighborhoods have changed, and the city’s population has shifted. We know that families and communities want clarity, predictability, and quality school choices at locations that make sense for them.
The charge of the Advisory Committee is to incorporate public discussion, research, and analysis to provide the DME's office with fair minded, thoughtful, and informed recommendations. Specifically, the Advisory Committee will:
- Review current citywide policies on attendance zones, feeder patterns and school choice
- Formulate guidelines and principles for public school assignment and choice policies and practices
- Listen to the community and serve as insightful interpreters of public sentiment, concerns, and questions
- Develop recommendations and scenarios for revised DCPS attendance zone and feeder patterns
- Make policy recommendations on how to bridge student-assignment and choice policies across DCPS and charter schools
Please forward this information to your family, school and community members. RSVP to: W2EdNetwork@gmail.com.
These meetings are sponsored and underwritten by the Logan Circle Community Association, the Dupont Circle Citizen Association and Foggy Bottom Association, in conjunction with the Advisory Neighborhood Commissions from Logan Circle (ANC 2F), Dupont Circle (ANC 2B) and Foggy Bottom (ANC 2A). There will be light snacks and babysitters will be on hand in a separate but nearby room to care for kids.
Now tweeting: @Ward2EdNetwork
SAVE the DATE – Next Community Education Discussion Saturday, Mar 15th, 10am
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Boundary, Feeders, Student Assignment Forum with DME Abigail Smith - Saturday, Feb 8, 10am at Cardozo Ed Campus
A notice from the Ward 2 Education Network (@Ward2EdNetwork):