- DC Growing Healthy Schools Week, October 21 from 10:00 am - Noon at Thurgood Marshall Academy PHCS (2427 Martin Luther King Jr Ave SE). Ward 3 CM Cheh and others will kick off DC Growing Healthy Schools Week with healthy food competitions and other fun activities. From the release:
Councilmember Mary M. Cheh (D–Ward 3), author of the Healthy Schools Act and the FEED DC Act, will serve as a judge for the Best School Garden Awards at the kick-off event for Growing Healthy Schools Week in the District on Monday, October 21st. The event will also feature a competition, where local chefs will show off their culinary skills using fresh produce grown in Thurgood Marshall Academy’s Great Garden of Anacostia.
BACKGROUND: In the District of Columbia, schools are making significant changes to improve the health of students and staff, largely due to the implementation of the Healthy Schools Act of 2010, authored by Councilmember Mary Cheh. This year marks the second annual Growing Healthy Schools Week, which is the fusion of DC School Garden Week and DC Farm to School Week. Both programs were launched to celebrate local, seasonal food in school meals, and engage students in the farm-to-table process. These two celebrations were successful in stimulating more citywide support for and involvement in farm to school and school garden programs. Growing Healthy Schools Week highlights the interrelated goals of these two former weeks and reflects the components of the Healthy Schools Act, which encourages connections between farm to school and school garden programs.
- Ward 3 Democratic Committee "Community Discussion", October 22 7:30 pm at the Methodist Home (4901 Connecticut Ave NW in the Assembly Hall). Ward 5 CM McDuffie will address the crowd at 7:30 pm and Ward 3 CM Cheh takes the floor at 8:00 pm. Direct questions to email@example.com.
- Shaw Community Office Hours October 24, 8:00 - 9:30 am at Bundy Dog Park (5th and P Sts NW). This event is a great opportunity to discuss issues that affect your neighborhood with CM Tommy Wells and members of his staff. Contact Pat Joseph at 724-8072 or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or concerns.
- DC Latino Caucus PAC Series Conversation with DC Councilmember Jack Evans, October 24 from 6:30 - 8:30 pm at Los Hermanos Restaurant (1426 Park Rd NW;Columbia Heights Metro (Green Line) or parking at Giant Supermarket, 1345 Park Rd NW, Tivoli Square; or DC USA Shopping Center, Park Road entrance). More information available on the DCLC website, via email, email@example.com, or by calling 526-1847.
- Community Meeting on the Future of Options Public Charter School, October 28 from 6:30 - 8:00 pm at Options Public Charter School (1375 E St NE). Ward 6 CM Wells and the court-appointed receiver will listen to the concerns and recommendations from the public.
Background from the Wells release:
On October 3, 2013, the Court appointed Joshua Kern as Receiver for the Options Public Charter School ("Options PCS"). The Court appointed a Receiver in order to ensure that Options PCS is able to provide educational and support services to its students and to maintain the school's safe and productive environment. The Court ordered Mr. Kern to hold, preserve, administer, and operate the business and activities of Options PCS in the best interests of the school's students and the public.
Councilmember Wells emphasizes that the Court directed Mr. Kern to "not discuss any of his tentative or final findings or recommendations" in public meetings. However, he is delighted that Mr. Kern is eager to listen to the community and consider community insights as he administers Options PCS.
- Job fair, November 7, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm at Arena Stage (1101 6th St SW). CM Tommy Wells and Arena Stage are hosting the fair. The job fair is open to the public and DC residents seeking employment are encouraged to attend. Comcast, Safeway, Giant, DC Water, Unity Healthcare, Specialty Hospital of Washington, United Planning Organization, and the US Army are among the employers who will be accepting applications at the event.
And DC Council Chairman Phil Mendelson shared the October 17 COW Hearing Overview Sheet.