- Ward 8 Community Summit, July 9: The purpose of this interactive work session is to understand the current and planned growth in Ward 8, the change that occurs as a result and the ways the community can benefit from the changes. Attendees will also create economic development priorities for Ward 8.
Join Mayor Gray, Councilmember Marion Barry and DC government agencies July 9 from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm at Savoy and Thurgood Marshall Academy Sports and Learning Center (2427 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave SE ).
- Public discussion about changes to TANF: The Department of Human Services Income Maintenance Administration is having this meeting June 22 from 1:30-2:30 pm at Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Neighborhood Library (1630 7th St NW). Attendees will learn about the Universal Services Delivery Model starting in FY 2012.
- DOH's Tobacco Control Program is on Twitter, @DCDOHSMOKEFREE: The program works to provide cessation, prevention and education services that will empower residents and visitors to the District of Columbia to tobacco free. More information about the services available to combat smoking are on the DOH website.
- Reading and learning the thing to do this summer: Mayor Gray and education leaders launched "READ and LEARN this Summer" June 16. This is part of "One City Summer Fun … Something for Everyone." The purpose is to encourage children, youth and adults to partake in educational programs ranging from summer reading for children to adult literacy. To learn more about reading and learning and the city's broader plans for summer, go to http://onecitysummer.dc.gov or call 311.
- The latest news from CM Catania: Check out the June 17 edition of News from DC Councilmember David A. Catania.
- Kids know best?: Ed Bruske serves up some disappointing news that Council Chairman Kwame Brown wants chocolate milk back in schools because a first grade student has research to support chocolate milk over unflavored sugary milk.
- Provide input on the development of the District's Health Insurance Exchange: Join members of the Mayor’s Health Reform Implementation Committee (HRIC) and the public June 21 from 3:00 – 5:00 pm at Cleveland Park Library (3310 Connecticut Ave NW) to discuss the governance of the exchange. The HRIC is meeting again June 29 from 6:00 – 8:00 pm; the topic is about small business and the Exchange. Meetings will continue in July and the schedule will be finalized by June 24.
More information is available online or from Brendan Rose, Health Policy Analyst at the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (202-442-7811, Brendan.Rose@dc.gov) or Dorinda White with the Department of Health Care Financing (202-442-8992, email@example.com).