- Mayor's budget release: Mayor Vince Gray is expected to release his proposed FY 2013 budget March 23 at 11:30 am. During the March 21 Twitter chat, DC Council reps, said that the budget was being released at 9:30 am on the 23rd. But that is to the council.
- Budget hearing schedule changes: The Committee on Government Operations (Ward 4 CM Muriel Bowser, chair) has rescheduled a number of their budget hearings.
*The new date for the Office of Partnerships and Grant Services budget hearing is April 5
*The new date for the Office of Boards and Commissions budget hearing is April 5
*The new date for the Office of Risk Management budget hearing is April 5
*The new date for the Office of the Inspector General budget hearing is April 18
*The new date for the Board of Elections and Ethics budget hearing is April 20
Note that these changes and the ones reported March 19 are not reflected on the DC Council website (as of 3/21 7:30p).
- Update on behavioral health budget briefing: D.C. Behavioral Health Association is holding a briefing on local and federal FY 2013 budget proposals for behavioral health March 29 from 1:00 to 3:00 pm. The event is being held at Catholic Charities’ Hickey Center (924 G St NW, across from MLK Library).
President Obama's proposed FY 2013 budget cuts funding for health homes and Medicaid. What else does it hold for providers? And what surprises are in the Mayor's FY 2013 budgets for addiction recovery and mental health treatment?
Steve Baron, director of the Department of Mental Health, will review the FY2013 proposed budget for mental health. Shaun Synder, acting director of APRA, will discuss the FY 2013 proposed budget for addiction recovery treatment and prevention. Rebecca Farley, a policy analyst with the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare, will discuss proposed cuts in federal funding for Medicaid and SAMHSA.
Due to space and time limitations, RSVP if you plan to attend. You may submit questions in advance, once the mayor releases the FY 2013 budget. RSVP and submit your questions via email.
- Department of Health Care Finance budget briefing: DHCF is hosting a briefing on the agency’s proposed FY 2013 budget March 26 from 2:00 - 3:00 pm in their office (899 North Capitol St NE, conference room 6130). RSVP by March 23 to Ianta Summers at 442-8018 or via email.
- Department of Health budget briefing: "Understanding the Department of Health's FY2013 Budget Proposal" takes place March 28 from 5:30 - 7:30 pm at the Department of Health (899 North Capitol St NE, 4th Floor Conference Room). Space is limited; an RSVP is required. RSVP to DCFPI's Jenny Reed by March 27 via email. Time is limited as well; in order to best use our time with DOH staff, email your questions to Jenny Reed no later than March 27. These will be consolidated and shared with DOH in advance, to ensure DOH has an opportunity to prepare responses.
BACKGROUND: The District faces a significant budget shortfall for FY 2013. The mayor releases his proposed budget on March 23. DOH's budget hearing takes place April 5. This forum provides advocates with an opportunity - after the Mayor's budget is released and before the budget hearing - to better understand the proposed DOH budget.
I. Explaining the Budget (45 minutes)
II. Questions and Answers (45 minutes) [Common questions submitted in advance followed by questions from the floor]
- Mayor's budget town halls: All the town hall budget meetings will be held from 6:30 - 8:30 pm.
- Arts Education Advocacy 101 Workshop, March 27: The DC Arts and Humanities Education Collaborative presents a free arts education advocacy workshop. Learn some of the basics of advocacy and how together we can make a powerful difference. Arts Education Advocacy 101 Workshop: The Three-Minute Advocate is being held March 27 from 1:00 - 3:00 pm. Get more information and register online.
Want to leave a comment? Click the title of the blog post.