Wednesday, June 29, 2011

There's always a work-around

If you read the blog earlier today, you know that I asked folks to participate in a poll.   The problem was that the widget I used did not work for everyone.   After a little searching online, I remembered that the survey tool I use, Survey Gizmo, also has polls.   After a dedicated reader tried to use the new poll, I cheered and then promptly deleted the non-working one.

No huge takeaway—just that sometimes stuff doesn't happen the way it's supposed to and that fixing the problem was important.   I want information people have and the only way to get it is to have a functioning tool.   What I remembered, learned long ago, is that there had to be a work-around.   I didn't want to spend a lot of time looking for a new widget when I knew I could just do a survey if all else failed.

This also applies to policy and advocacy.   Not everything works the way you want it to no matter how hard you work, no matter how much time you put in, no matter what commitments are made by elected and appointed leaders.   The key to being effective is to figure out other ways to get what you want, often over time.   This is, in large part, why I've been as effective as I have doing this work since 1996.

You too can learn the art of making work-arounds work for you.   It just takes creativity and practice.   I think the results are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment