- Public schools budget analyst extraordinaire Mary Levy will be joining the staff of the Committee of the Whole to help with the DCPS budget. She will start shortly.
- Mary Levy testified before the Committee of the Whole April 11 on the DCPS budget and had this to say:
DCPS provides local school budgets elsewhere, but these account for only $483 million of the total proposed budget of $827 million. That leaves $344 million largely unaccounted for. There is no way to evaluate the District’s largest agency budget on the basis of what is before us. Nor should you have to, since the D.C. Official Code § 1-204.52 and § 38-2831 require much more detail than is given here, including the specification of all services delivered directly to students, regardless of whether they are funded in central or local school accounts.
- Fighting Back Against the Budget Cuts is the theme of the April 16 Gray Panthers of Metropolitan Washington monthly meeting. The event is being held from 2:00 - 4:00 pm at Tenley-Friendship Library (4450 Wisconsin Ave NW, Tenleytown/AU Metro). Speakers will be Roger Newell, Teamsters Union; Linda Leaks, Empower DC; and Joan Drake, Convener, GPMW.
- The Committee on Health is holding a hearing on the proposed FY 2012 Department of Health Care Finance budget April 14 at 10:00 am in Room 412. Watch the hearing on the City Council website (select Room 412). The witness list for the hearing is here (Word, .doc) and the advance Q&A are on the Council's website.
- The Committee of the Whole has posted responses from DC Public Schools, University of the District of Columbia, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education, and Office of Zoning.
- There is a briefing on the proposed FY 2012 OSSE budget April 18 from 9:00 – 10:30 am at OSSE (810 First St NE, Room 9014). Space is limited; RSVP via email.
- The second half of the budget hearing for the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services is May 5 at 10:00 am in Room 123.
- If you are not reading budget analyses from DC Fiscal Policy Institute, start now! Check them out here.