- Ward 3 CM Cheh Open House, January 3: CM Cheh is opening her office to residents and friends of Ward 3 for food and drink January 3, 4:00 – 7:00 pm in Suite 108 of the JAWB. The CM and her staff look forward to hearing residents' thoughts about the future of the ward and city. RSVP to Anthony Lopez via email.
- CM Harry Thomas, Jr. hosts open house: The Ward 5 CM invites the community to the Ward 5 Council Office Open House January 4 from 3:00 - 7:00 pm in Room 107 of the JAWB. The purpose of the event is to celebrate the beginning of the CM's second term.
- Ward 5 CM Thomas on his selection as chair of Committee on Economic Development: On December 23, Thomas issued a statement about chairing a committee with "such tremendous impact on the economic engine of this city and the direction of its growth…"
- Committee on Health CP18 Activity Report: On December 22, the Committee on Health (CM Catania, chair) released the Committee’s Council Period 18 Activity Report. The report outlines the committee's goals and the various legislative actions, budget initiatives, community events, and other actions undertaken in pursuit of the goals.
- Committee chair assignments:
- Kwame Brown (At-large) – Committee of the Whole (Education stays in the COW)
- Michael Brown (At-large) – Housing and Workforce Development
- David Catania (At-large) – Health
- Phil Mendelson (At-large) – Public Safety and the Judiciary
- Jim Graham (Ward 1) – Human Services
- Jack Evans (Ward 2) – Finance and Revenue
- Mary Cheh (Ward 3) – Operations and the Environment
- Muriel Bowser (Ward 4) – Libraries, Parks and Recreation
- Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. (Ward 5) – Economic Development
- Tommy Wells (Ward 6) – Transportation and Public Works
- Yvette Alexander (Ward 7) – Public Services and
- Marion Barry (Ward 8) – Aging and Community Affairs
- Committee membership: Greater Greater Washington (GGW) has the list of committees, members, and which agencies each oversees.
- Ward 7 CM Alexander updates the community on her workout schedule and progress
- Tanchica L. Terry has left the Committee on Health for other pursuits.
- Michael Price, former communications staffer for then At-large member Kwame Brown, has left the JAWB and founded Quantum Politics.
Monday, January 3, 2011
From and about the Council
The Council and its committees were active at the end of 2010 and there is important news from and about the members. Highlights of action include CP-end activity reports, committee assignments for CP19, and staff changes.