- Ward 7 Health Council meeting, August 9: Ward 7 CM Yvette Alexander and the United Medical Center Foundation are hosting the third Ward 7 Health Council meeting on August 9 at from 6:30 - 8:30 pm at Friendship Public Charter School (4095 Minnesota Ave NE). The goal of the council is to educate residents and facilitate activities that promote healthy eating and active living. More information is available from Esther Tempies, 574-6175 or via email; Sam Jordan, 388-6661 or via email; or Derek Ford, 427-4474 or via email.
- Public meeting of the District’s Health Reform Implementation Committee, August 19: The committee is meeting 2:00 – 4:00 pm at the Benning Neighborhood Library (3935 Benning Rd NE, large meeting room). The purposes of the meeting include reviewing the committee's charge and responsibilities and offering 1) an overview of the health care reform law, 2) the impact of the law on DC, and 3) the city’s accomplishments regarding implementation to date.
Seating is limited; RSVP to Lucy Drafton-Lowery, 442-7775, or via email; you may also submit questions in advance by emailing Drafton-Lowery by August 13. More information is available on the District’s health care reform website.
Committee members are co-chairs Commissioner Gennet Purcell, Esq., of the D.C. Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking and Dr. Julie Hudman of the Department of Health Care Finance. Dr. Pierre Vigilance of the Department of Health and Clarence Carter of the Department of Human Services are also members.
- A change to the Committee on Health: Jen Barry—awesome, helpful, cheerful, and all-around awesome staffer on the Committee on Health under the leadership of At-large CM David Catania—is soon leaving the committee. Barry has encouraged the community to ask questions (via email) this week before her departure. After next week, questions should be directed to one of the committee staff:
- Jordan Hutchinson, Committee Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Susan Mottet, Committee Counsel (email@example.com)
- Tanchica Terry, Policy Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Edelmira Moore, Public Health Analyst (email@example.com)
Best of luck, Jen.
- The August 6 Committee on Health update is posted online.