Friday, April 10, 2009

Fond farewell from Deborah Gist

Dear DC Colleagues,

It has been a true honor to work with you on the most important issue facing our city—education, and I write to you with affection and appreciation to say goodbye.   While we have a long way to go to serve children, adults and families as we all believe they should be served through education, there are amazing people all across the city doing great work every day.   It has been a pleasure and a privilege to serve alongside you.

The OSSE team is in good hands under the leadership of Dr. Kerri Briggs, the new State Superintendent of Education, and the work to improve the state education responsibilities in the system will continue in full force.   I have talked with Dr. Briggs about many of the ongoing issues and told her about groups and individuals she will want to get to know better, and I will continue to make myself available to her and to you to ensure a smooth transition.

I am excited about my new opportunity as the Commissioner of Education for the state of Rhode Island, and I am enthusiastic about Dr. Briggs’ leadership.   I leave with pride and affection for each of you and for the OSSE team but also with the confidence that the work will carry on.   I expect to see great things happening in DC in the next year and will watch fondly from Rhode Island to cheer on your accomplishments.

I hope to stay in touch!

Deborah

To stay in touch with Deb, you can use her new work address and email: Rhode Island Department of Education, 255 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903, deborah[DOT]gist[AT]ride[DOT]ri[DOT]gov.   And as some folks know, the best way to stay in touch with Deb is through Facebook.